The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:39:54 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Why aren't battle thralls fighting the Kohr-Ah?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Why aren't battle thralls fighting the Kohr-Ah?  (Read 41045 times)
Cyamarin
*Many bubbles*

Midimaze!!!

View Profile
Re: Why aren't battle thralls fighting the Kohr-Ah
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2003, 01:54:03 am »

I've always thought the best explanation was that each one of those 42 crew members actually WAS an Ur-Quan--and that the idea that there was only one in every Dreadnought was just a rumor, spread among suspicious Alliance soldiers.
wminsing
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2003, 07:32:52 am »

>>Though this is totally breaking what most people around here regard as canon, in SC3 you could only put Ur-Quan on board Dreadnoughts. SO, it looks like they are capable of coexisting - though the rulebook suggests that they would really prefer to be solitary. Going from having 41 people who will die before you do -> being send on an autonomous fighter... it's really a very different way of looking at the fighting process. <<

Yea, but in SC3 the Ur-Quan no longer had battle thralls, did they?  Wink .  I'm not saying they CAN'T tolerate each other, just that they keep thier distance where possiable.  

>>Posted by: Cyamarin Posted on: Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:54pm
I've always thought the best explanation was that each one of those 42 crew members actually WAS an Ur-Quan--and that the idea that there was only one in every Dreadnought was just a rumor, spread among suspicious Alliance soldiers.  <<

Well, the "real report"data comes from a document published by Star Control Intelligence, so I think it holds more weight than a rumor.  

-Will  
Cyamarin
*Many bubbles*

Midimaze!!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2003, 09:55:47 pm »

Could be.  But it's not a piece of Intelligence data that ever really would come in handy during the war, and there were lots of things Star Control Intelligence didn't know about the Hierarchy, or even about the Alliance.  For example--the Spathi ship labelled "Discriminator" instead of "Eluder".
mstr

Email
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2003, 02:38:39 am »

About Ur-quan being solitary hunters.. that was about brown Ur-quan. Dnyarri changed them. I think too, that at least Kohr-ah can work together (they couldn't have any other species around). Maybe Kzer-za don't breed as fast as Kohr-ah, or something, so they need to use slaves to mobilize enough ships.

About SC3.. there is no such thing.
Azarule
*Many bubbles*

Andale, Andale, arriba !

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2003, 01:17:55 pm »

Quick note about something I saw earlier in the thread : The Khor-Ah aren't soldiers so much as menial laborers. the physical side of the sciencifically minded Kzer-Za.

Am I wrong on that ?

If these visions have offended, thing but this and all is mended : You have but slumbered here while these visions did appear.  And this weak and idling theme, no more yielding than a dream.
wminsing
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2003, 09:57:14 pm »

>>Could be.  But it's not a piece of Intelligence data that ever really would come in handy during the war, and there were lots of things Star Control Intelligence didn't know about the Hierarchy, or even about the Alliance.  For example--the Spathi ship labelled "Discriminator" instead of "Eluder".<<

But it was considered a well known fact when it was presented, not a guess or a rumor.  And I would disagree about it never being handy.  I suspect the Alliance felt they might be able to incite some dreadnuaght crews to revolt, though they never pulled it off.  Basically, I see no reason to NOT believe it, as it seems perfectly reasonable and realistic to me.  

>>Quick note about something I saw earlier in the thread : The Khor-Ah aren't soldiers so much as menial laborers. the physical side of the sciencifically minded Kzer-Za.

Am I wrong on that ?<<

I believe the quote was "soldiers and menial laborors", so they did both.   Basically, both jobs require group work, which why I bet they Kohr-Ah get along with each other better then the Ur-Quan.

-Will  
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2003, 08:38:01 pm »

Hmm... what if you put multiple Ur-Quan colonies in the same system? Could it occur that one would be Kzer-Za and the other Kohr-Ah? Maybe the conversion occurs by system. BTW, I am curious if anyone can explain to me what was really up with that. Those really WERE green Ur-Quan with little bits of black stuff draped over them. They don't at all resemble the Kohr-Ah. Was there some psychic influence confusing them or what? I really don't care about spoiling since this is SC3.
ErekLich
*Many bubbles*

One Ring to rule them all, eh you know the rest.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2003, 08:55:03 pm »

You ever try pointing that out to him?

He says something to the effect of "I am Kohr-ah because I follow the Eternal Doctrine!"  which means that now that the races aren't isolated, the confilct is about ideology and not just sub-race anymore.  And maybe he was a cross-breed.  Who knows?  SC3 never says.

Oh God, please don't let me die today!  Tomorrow would be SO much better!
Dave Morse

Email
Renegade Dreadnaught
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2003, 12:02:47 am »

This thread gives me a nifty idea:
It would be cool to eventaully add a "renegade dreadnaught" subplot to the single player.  The slaves mutinied, managed to space the captain, and then head out to an isolated corner of the galaxy to hide from the Ur-Quaan wrath.  If you tell em the right things, maybe bring them some mail from their homeworlds, they'll join you.
Shiver

Email
Re: Renegade Dreadnaught
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2003, 12:59:02 am »

It would be cool to eventaully add a "renegade dreadnaught" subplot to the single player.  The slaves mutinied, managed to space the captain, and then head out to an isolated corner of the galaxy to hide from the Ur-Quaan wrath.  If you tell em the right things, maybe bring them some mail from their homeworlds, they'll join you.

Lessee... which race would be captain of this renegade dreadnaught? Mycon can't even go onto other ships because they can only survive in overwhelmingly high temperatures, so they're out of the picture. Spathi are used as crew for dreadnaughts, but it's likely that they're subordinate to the other thralls, so cross them off. Lastly, the Thraddash weren't used against the alliance because the Ur-Quan thought they were little turds. That leaves the following species to take command: Ilwrath, Vux, Yehat, and Umgah. I think the captain would be best as a Yehat because all the other thralls must have a healthy respect for the Yehat and they're the most likely to lead a succesful mutiny.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2003, 01:17:54 am by Shiver » Logged
Censored
Enlightened

Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2003, 02:04:15 am »

And why greenies don't use sa-matra or slave races?
-- also regarding all the other discussions in this matter --

The whole doctrinal conflict was set up, because Kzer-za thought it's possible that Eternal doctrine might be the right way, instead of the Path of now and forever.

You're all missing the point. The story was the Kzer-Za won over the Kohr-Ah, and they decided to go 180 on each other and cross the galaxy until they meet again. The Kzer-Za would enslave races to "protect them", and the Kohr-Ah would just annih.. anhigii.. ehh, you get it Wink

Then they arrived to the game's quardant. Some of the races have been enslaved and some decided to help the Kzer-Za and become battle thralls. Now, the Kzer-Za meet the Kohr-Ah and the final battle between them, as the doctrine states, begins. So they (the Kzer-Za) leave everything else behind - that's why the battle thralls are all loose and that's why when you arrive back to Sol there hadn't been a supply ship for 8 years..

"You boldly enter our space! Approach this Dreadnought as though it were a recreation base and then play the dumb hominid?
Who do you take us for, Captain... Spathi!?"
ErekLich
*Many bubbles*

One Ring to rule them all, eh you know the rest.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2003, 02:32:58 am »

The reason the Ur-Quan are more effective in SC3 is that there are more firing angles.  Plus there's an artifact upgrad for their ROF.

I have to disagree with you about the Avatar.  While it IS less powerful, that's becuase it was a bit too powerful in the first place.  In sc3, it's just like fighting with all the big ships:  whoever gets the better firing angle wins, the other is hurt, perhaps badly.

Oh God, please don't let me die today!  Tomorrow would be SO much better!
Dave Morse

Email
Rouge Dreadnaught
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2003, 07:44:48 am »

whenever you approach any battle thrall race, they all seem happy to be under Ur-Quan rule.

It would have to be led by the Yehat.  Perhaps the DN came across a stray Shofixti, which promptly gloried, and this inspired the Yehat.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2003, 07:46:11 pm »

Flawed = Battery related issues, has a special power that only is used to make up for original design flaws

Other 'flawed' ships include...
by your definition, apparently Pkunk, Slylandro, Druuge, Umgah  (battery related issues)
Thraddash (special power only used to make up for original design flaws... at least according to their story)
Harika/Yorn (Special only overcomes the low acceleration)
VUX (limpets trying to overcome low maneuverability)

Anything else I'm missing?
Scott
*Many bubbles*

does whatever a spider can

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2003, 12:32:51 am »

There probably is only 1 Ur-Quan on each ship, but none of the battle thralls would even want to overthrow them, whenever you approach any battle thrall race, they all seem happy to be under Ur-Quan rule.

Also, there are way more battle thralls than the ones in the SC2 Quadrant, so who knows how many possible races there are on a Dreadnaught?  Maybe the Kzer-Za use 1 of each race per crew compliment, because most races don't trust each other, and couldn't unionize against the Ur-Quan.

Wouldn't we know about all those races in SC3, then? Or even as early as SC1, since the Syreen steal away crew...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length